Monday, July 8, 2013

New Works With Old Plastics

From a downsizing sale I got a handful of bowl-shaped amber-ish Bakelite buttons to play with.  I decided it was time to try using an old buckle as the center of a necklace (and as the clasp, since you undo and re-hook it).  Here's one using the buckle, two of the little Bakelite bowls, and two little celluloid buttons with some red on them to round things off.  From a distance, there is a slight suggestion of a mouth and eyes.


Necklace #65.  Vintage plastic hook-and-eye style buckle, vintage Bakelite and celluloid buttons, on linen/cotton bias tape.


I wanted to do more with the little Bakelite bowls, so I used a few with vintage celluloid/metal buttons:




Necklace #66.  Bakelite and celluloid/metal vintage buttons on Japanese woven cotton bias tape.


1 comment:

  1. Nice work!

    I'll have to keep a lookout for interesting buckles now, too. Maybe I'll get out my hoard sometime, and see what wants to be passed on.

    ReplyDelete